NYC in October

October 26, 2015

I always have loved New York City in October. It's when you feel those first whispers of fall. My birthday is in October too which also brings a certain magic to the months itself! This year, James and I went to NYC to celebrate my birthday... for a week! (He sure does spoil me so.) He was ever so kind as to let me do all the birding I could have desired! Here are just a few captures... including some new lifers...

Lifer #1: Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)
I have always wanted to see one. I know they are in Texas too... but have always been so elusive for me! Well... the Gray Catbird was the very first bird I saw in Bryant Park (my favorite place for birding in the city).  I can see why they call them catbirds... they are fassst. They were dodging in and out of the bushes, chasing after bugs and what not... very hard to photograph...
 

Lifer #2: Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)
These little guys were incredibly shy. They were foraging around in the flowerbeds around Bryant Park mostly.
 
 

Lifer #3: Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla)
Oh man, I was super excited to spot this little guy. I've always wanted to see one because they look so cute! When I entered what I saw on eBird... they told me that it was "rare" and had to further confirm. Well, I'm telling you... I saw a ton of them in the flowerbeds in Bryant Park!
 
 

... and then there are the usual suspects...
Rock Dove (Columba livia) in Bryant Park.
 European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) in Midtown.

White-Throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) in Bryant Park.

The ever-present House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) in Bryant Park.

I've seen these in Texas... but a first time for me to see one in New York... a Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) in Bryant Park. Most likely it's just because I never looked hard enough.

A loud Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) in Bryant Park. Pokin' holes... deet deet deet.

Up in Central Park... a few water birds were there soaking up the last rays of the sun... a Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata).

 ... and an American Coot (Fulica americana).

... and a Wood Duck (Aix sponsa).

What I was most happy about... was how amazingly well this gorgeous Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) posed for us in a branch not 10' away! So amazing.
 
 
 

 © 2015 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment