Birds: The Art of Ornithology by Jonathan Elphick

May 5, 2014

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered "Birds: The Art of Ornithology" by Jonathan Elphick, published in 2005. The copy I bought was a used library book, but it really is in mint condition.



It also was a much bigger book than I expected at approx. 11x12" in dimension... a happy surprise.
This book covers some major bird art history... so much so, that it is divided into section by years...
 It has many, many color images of birds from all over the world, from within all different eras, in all different styles and by all sorts of artists/illustrators. Some of my favorite illustrations...

Northern Hobby by William Lewin (1789):

Greater Flamingo by Sarah Stone (1788):

 Scarlet Macaw by Edward Lear (1832):

Barn Swallows by John James Audubon (1833):

Reunion Crested Starling by John Gerrard Keulmans (1905):

White Throated Bee Eater by Chloe Elizabeth Talbot Kelly (1960):

Even though the book was published in 2005, I didn't see any illustrations/artwork from beyond 1998. So I think there needs to be another chapter added! (Speaking of... I should write a post about my favorite bird illustrators/artists of today. There are a few I like... and they are good!)

In my quest to draw all the birds of Texas, I've been studying/researching all types of bird drawings, illustrations and art work.

© 2014 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment