Best Birds Thursday #15

May 22, 2014

Welcome to Best Birds Thursday #15! Feel free to join in on Twitter with the hashtag #BestBirdsThursday. It was yet another great week of birding... including two new lifers! So without further ado...

From the backyard with lots of peeps... Juvenile Black Crested Titmice (Baeolophus atricristatus)!




... and the adult... 

On my lunch break, I went to the River Bend Park in New Braunfels, Texas... and spotted maby of your typical birds... Grackles, Finches, Chickadees and Titmice... but also saw a Yellow Crowned Night Heron (Nyctanassa violacea)...

 ... and a Great Egret (Ardea alba) on the hunt...

... and I have seen photos of these everywhere... but never have actually seen one in person before, so I saw a new lifer! A Green Heron (Butorides virescens)!

Look at that neck!! 

The second lifer was actually one that I dismissed as a Mallard Duck until I uploaded the photos to my computer and took a closer look. I thought it was odd that she wasn't paired up with a male Mallard there at the river, but now I see it is actually a Mottled Duck (Anas fulvigula).

A Blue Winged Teal (Anas discors)

 Back to the backyard we find the Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)... singing away... 


 Female Black Chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) posing. 

 For the weekend, we went down to Bay City, Texas to check on some properties and I always love this... as there are so many birds down by the coast.

Eastern Bluebird male (Sialia sialis) on a wire...

... and again with a little baby! 

While watching the Bluebirds, a flock of Cattle Egrets (Bubulcus ibis) landed nearby. I see these all the time, but could never really get great photos of them... they always seem to see me and get spooked out before I can get close enough. So I was in luck! 


 © 2014 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment