Best Birds Thursday #13

May 8, 2014

 It was an event filled birding week... two new lifers... first, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus)! 


... and even caught a rated R photo... ha!
 
 Second lifer of the week, an Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens). Actually, there was a little group of about 8-10... very playful and vocal!
 
Finally caught a couple of decent photos of our hummingbird!! This is a female Black Chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandria) at a feeder purchased from Kennedy Glass Studio. (It took a while for her to find this feeder... but now that she has... she's added it to the "tour" of feeding spots in my yard.) I thought it was a Ruby Throated Hummingbird at first, but the white patch behind the eye gave it away.




A Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) with lunch...

 Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) in flight...

Don't get me wrong... I am not a fan of the European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris). They aren't native to Texas... or the United States for that matter. They are invasive and mean... and are even carriers of disease... but... they are here, and I think I caught a couple of good photos...
 


A good rule of thumb when photographing birds... don't dismiss a bird for one that you think it is. Case and point... I thought I was going to be photographing a Mockingbird. In fact, I sat in my car for a few minutes... changed some radio stations... took a sip of my Starbucks and then decided to photograph the Mockingbird because he still hadn't flown away. As I zoomed in... I realized I had a Western Kingbird (Tyrannus verticalis) instead!

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)

 Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) strikes a model pose. 

© 2014 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment