Best Birds Thursday #12

May 1, 2014

In San Antonio, Texas... a silly Rock Pigeon (Columba livia) with a WTF look...


Also in San Antonio... and a new lifer for me, a Western Kingbird (Tyrannus verticalis). By the squeaks and sounds he was making, I thought he was a short tailed Scissor Tailed Flycatcher at first!

... stretching out...
Spotted another one in Schertz, Texas with lunch!

Also spotted a couple of Eurasian Collared Doves (Streptopelia decaocto) in Schertz, who paused just long enough for me to catch a photo. 



A Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) who was doing a loud mating display dance. I never noticed how pretty their feathers are! 

We thought he was hurt at first... but then ran off when he'd had enough of my camera... 







A Bronzed Cowbird (Molothrus aeneus)... what an evil eye! 

Back at my house in New Braunfels... looks like the brood-parasitic Brown Headed Cowbirds (Molothrus ater) found me after I spotted them about a month ago within our neighborhood. Bleh. Our Mockingbirds knew not to leave the nest... they didn't even give their location away... and I didn't see them at all in the yard that day. 





The female nearby enjoying our sprinklers. 


Mockingbird fight the next day though... ! 

Barn Swallows (Hirundo rustica) have already built their next and I am just awaiting to hear the babies. In the meantime... they just make themselves known... 



Rawr... 



Here all year... the Lesser Goldfinches are happy that I have put the bird feeders back out since I spotted a Grackle in the yard... 





House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) missing some tail feathers... 

... and not the best couple of photos... but my mind is still reeling from discovering that there are Monk Parakeets nesting in San Antonio!
 
© 2014 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. You made me laugh out loud with that first caption :P When you go bird watching, do you have a set time? Also, how far are you from the birds when you take a photo? Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! :D I am glad you laughed! I think the wanted my lunch! ;) No set times for birding... just kinda... whenever I am out and about! Mostly... they are taken either in my backyard... or when I am driving to Starbucks! I swear... I need a bumper sticker that says, "I brake for birds"! :)

      The distances range... but usually no closer than 20'... they get really skittish if I am any closer. My camera zoom is killer. :)

      Delete