Best Birds Thursday #8

April 3, 2014

This was a great birding week for me! The weather was perfect, the sun was shining... and the birds were out! I saw a total of 38 species, including seven new "lifers" and the first hummingbirds of the Spring season! The full list at the end of this post, but for now... on to the photos!

Seen in New Braunfels, Texas... mostly all just the usuals! My ultimate favorite bird... the Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) are still hanging around. So glad, but I am sure they will be on their way north soon...


Audubon's Yellow Rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata auduboni)

The Chipping Sparrows (Spizella passerina) will probably be leaving for the north soon too...

Golden Fronted Woodpecker female (Melanerpes aurifrons)

Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)

Quite possibly the funniest photo of a Ruby Crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) I have ever seen!

The Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) has been working on his nest, and I caught him in the palm tree pot picking off bits of the trunk... peek a boo.


Then it was off to Bay City, Texas for the weekend, and I was excited at the thought of seeing some new spring migrants. Beautiful Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrushes and other Texas wildflower staples are painting our highway-views in gorgeous colors right now...



Arriving at the farm, I first spotted this pair of Blue Winged Teals (Anas discors) in the pond. My first "lifer" of the weekend.

Incoming Cattle Egrets (Bubulcus ibis)!

Second "lifer" of the weekend... a Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)

Down in the creek... spotted a Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea)

In the adjacent field, it looks like a curious Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta) was taking a peek at what I was up to...

A Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) who paused long enough for some closeups.



The third "lifer" for me... which by no means are a rarity... the Red Winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)



After leaving the farm, we went to the Matagorda County Birding Nature Center, where I spotted another two "lifers"... the Yellow Crowned Night Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) eying something just below the muck...

... and a Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) flock overhead.

I have seen the Double Crested Cormorant before, but never so many in trees! I've only seen them down at the San Antonio Riverwalk, Landa Park in New Braunfels and the Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center in Port Aransas.


Overall, a super happy week for birding! I need to go an update my lifer list now! Here is the full list of what I spotted this week. I did not get to photograph everything on the list... but you can see some of these in earlier posts in the blog. There are *'s next to my new lifers!


Scissor Tailed Flycatcher
Crested Caracara
Red Tailed Hawk
Barn Swallow
Northern Cardinal
Mockingbird
Chipping Sparrow
Lesser Goldfinch
Golden Fronted Woodpecker
White Winged Dove
Mourning Dove
Grackle
Cedar Waxwing
Loggerhead Shrike
Starling
Black Vulture
Great White Egret
Black Chinned Hummingbird
Cliff Swallow
Purple Martin *
Gull Billed Tern
Savannah Sparrow
House Sparrow
Meadowlark
Killdeer
Greater Yellowleg *
American Crow
Cattle Egret
Blue Winged Teal *
Little Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron
Northern Harrier *
White Homing Pigeon (Rock Pigeon variant)
Red Winged Blackbird *
Vesper Sparrow
Double Crested Cormorant
Glossy Ibis *
Yellow Crowned Night Heron *


© 2014 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment