Best Birds Thursday #1

February 13, 2014

Welcome to "Best Birds Thursday"... where I will be posting a weekly update of my best photos of birds from the past week. I started to get into bird watching as a result of researching for my fine art bird drawings. In taking so many photographs of them for reference, I thought it was about time to share them!

Most of the photos are taken in and around my property in the Texas Hill Country... between San Antonio and New Braunfels, Texas. This area has always been a bit of a bird refuge, and with all the land diversity comes a great diversity of birds.

Without further ado... 
Best Birds Thursday #1 (February 6th - 13th)

Male House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) inspecting our Texas "graupel".

American Goldfinch  (Spinus tristi)

We've had so many Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum) this year... love them!

Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltri) male and female on the bird feeder. 

 Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)

A pair of Mourning Doves (Zenaida macroura). This is the first time I've seen them actually in the yard, they are always just flying overhead.

Red Shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus), maybe presumably eying my Starbucks... 

Loggerhead Shrike (Lanius ludovicianus) on a morning hunt.

Native to Australia... this Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae) is a permanent resident of the neighboring ranch. He is a great snake hunter... and it probably upwards of 30 years old!

The "WTF" look I got from a Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) when I found his hideout. Haha.


© 2014 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment