Cedar Waxwings in Texas

January 21, 2014

I could (maybe) "retire" from bird watching and researching for birds to draw happily now! Over the weekend... a flock of over 100 Cedar Waxwings visited my house here in New Braunfels, Texas! This is the ONE bird I have been looking for since I began birding. Granted, I know they don't live in Texas during most of the year (winter residents only)... but I still looked! They are just so sleek and beautiful! It was about 8:30am when I went outside to warm up my car to meet my parents for breakfast when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flock of birds in the Red Oak tree. I did not have my glasses on, but could tell it wasn't a bird I had seen at the house before.



I finished getting ready to leave, and took my camera out with me to see what they were. Well right away (with glasses on now!) I recognized my elusive bird... Cedar Waxwings... a ton of them! They were puffed up against the Texas winter breeze, basking, scratching and stretching in the sun... calling in high whistles.




I couldn't wait to show my parents the photos on my camera. After breakfast, I returned home to find them still there! I thought they'd have continued on their way... but I guess they found our berry (and pollen) filled cedar trees. They weren't puffy anymore in the now 70° temperature.







They stayed for two days, and then they were on their way!




© 2014 J.Bishop Studios. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos and a great illustration! These were also on my birder's bucket list and I caught a mob of them in the spring after years of hoping to catch sight of one - my photos are nowhere near as nice as yours though - it's so funny how they'll show up en masse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! They really are a sight to see! Such acrobats too! Glad you were able to cross them off the border's bucket list!! :)

      Delete
  2. These are so beautiful! I'm glad they visited you :)
    And I'm glad I came over to your blog... from IG
    Cheers from another bird lover!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Great to see you here off of IG! :D I <3 birds!

      Delete